The glucagon discussion

whit72

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone,

the issues with the thread in question have been fixed and you can now feel free to peruse the posts there.... I was the offending party as I didn't know that one of the links I posted was of 'the automatic redirect variety'. My apolgies to all effected..

Out here,

ACE844

[stream:4c34e10fe2]http://www.saunalahti.fi/frog1/wavs/parental.wav[/stream:4c34e10fe2]

Thank you for the short and to the point answer. What exactley can go horribly wrong

Here is an article they I found the other day. while researching this issue.

The acute management of hypoglycemia involves the rapid delivery of a source of easily absorbed sugar. Regular soda, juice, lifesavers, table sugar, and the like are good options. In general, 10-15 grams of glucose is used, followed by an assessment of symptoms and a blood glucose check if possible. If after 10 minutes there is no improvement, another 10-15 grams should be given. This can be repeated up to 3 times. At that point, the patient should be considered as not responding to the therapy and an ambulance should be called.

The equivalency of 10-15 grams of glucose (approximate servings) are:

* Ten lifesavers

* 4 teaspoons of sugar

* 1/2 can of regular soda or juice

Many people like the idea of treating hypoglycemia with cake, cookies, and brownies. However, sugar in the form of complex carbohydrates or sugar combined with fat and protein are much too slowly absorbed to be useful in the acute treatment of hypoglycemia.

Once the acute episode has been treated, a healthy, long-acting carbohydrate to maintain blood sugars in the appropriate range should be consumed. Half a sandwich is a reasonable option.

If the hypoglycemic episode has progressed to the point where the patient cannot or will not take anything by mouth, more drastic measures will be needed. In many cases, a family member or roommate can be trained in the use of glucagon. Glucagon causes a rapid release of glucose stores from the liver. It is an injection given intramuscularly to a patient who cannot take glucose by mouth. A response is usually seen in minutes and lasts for about 90 minutes. Again, a long-acting source of glucose should thereafter be consumed to maintain blood sugar levels in the safe range. If glucagon is not available and the patient is not able to take anything by mouth, Emergency 911 should be called immediately. An intravenous route of glucose administration should be established as soon as possible.

With a history of recurrent hypoglycemic episodes, the first step in treatment is to assess whether the hypoglycemia is related to medications or insulin treatment. Patients with a consistent pattern of hypoglycemia may benefit from a dose adjustment. It is important that patients check blood glucose values multiple times a day to help define whether there is a pattern with meals or medication

In the bold statement. It states roomates or family member can be trained in the administration. So why do you disagree with EMT giving it?

"Emergency 911 should be called immediately. An intravenous route of glucose administration should be established as soon as possible. "

Do you, as a basic, have IV capabilities? Or is that the 22% of ALS intercepts?

Just the tip of the iceberg, by the way.

If you do have IV capabilities, I then ask...

-How long is your program

-How much didactic time is given to IV

-How much clinical time is involved

-How many sticks are you doing before they card you.

That alone, is several hundred hours of education, which is several times the length of your BLS program.

:shock:

If you do have IV capabilities, I then ask...

-How long is your program

-How much didactic time is given to IV

-How much clinical time is involved

-How many sticks are you doing before they card you.

That alone, is several hundred hours of education, which is several times the length of your BLS program.

No we dont start IV's

Seven hundred hours to star an IV? Im confused most classes in this area are maybe 700 hours in total

1. Reading is fundamental

2. 88 + 22 is 110, not the one hundred you posted on the other thread.

3. Yes, SEVERAL hundred hours to start IV's

4. Reading and mathmatics competencies before performing minor surgical procedures like IV's

:shock: :shock: :shock: